Sunday, May 24, 2015

I went with a large group of friends to the Brit and Chips location in the Côte-des-Neiges area. I reviewed a while back the one on McGill St. in Old-Montreal. Well, it was not really a review, I was simply showcasing my awesome picture-taken skills in the early months of this blog with minimal content. As my palate becomes more refined, I have more to say about the food. I have some references on how certain food should taste like.

Cod with Burgundy Batter - Fish n' Chips
Cod with Burgundy Batter
I had a fair share of fish and chips when I did my EuroTrip in the UK, and two years later in Ireland. Even though it's simple food, I miss a good old fish and chips. The Brit and Chips on Chemin Côte-des-Neiges has more room than the one in the Old-Montreal, about 70 seats. Large groups are welcome.

The menu consists of 5-6 fishes that are deep-fried in their own special batter. They also serve pasties, a British pie wrapped in puff pastry stuffed with savoury ingredients. You can also opt for their sausage rolls or scotch egg. And have your meal with a pint of beer.

We started off with tandoori popcorn shrimp. Little pieces of shrimp coated with a tandoori-spiced bread crumb batter – crispy batter, easy to eat with your hands. However, the tandoori flavour is subtle. It needed more punches of spices.

Tandoori Popcorn Shrimp - British Food
Tandoori Popcorn Shrimp
We all ordered the fish and chips. In general, none of us complained about the fish being undercooked or the batter being too doughy. One had the sole fish battered in sour cream and green onion. The taste of the sour cream and onion is prevalent in the batter. The fish is nice and flaky.

Sole with Sour Cream and Onion Batter - Fish N' Chips
Sole with Sour Cream and Onion Batter
I don’t recall whether halloumi fish and chips was on their menu when Brit and Chips was first opened. I only discovered the wonder of this firm, salty, squeaky middle-eastern cheese recently. You can do so much with this ingredient – pan-frying, grilling, deep-frying, etc… They did a great job in preparing the halloumi. It melds well with the smoky flavour of the chipotle batter. It’s a perfect dish for the vegetarians.

Veggie Haloumi with Chipotle Batter
Veggie Haloumi with Chipotle Batter
If you’re craving some fish and chips in Montreal, Brit and Chips is the place to go.

Brit and Chips - Côte-des-Neiges
5536 Chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges
Montreal, QC
H3T 1Y8
514-737-9555
Brit & Chips on Urbanspoon
Click to add a blog post for Brit & Chips on Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
// //